Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2011 5K #3

41:39

Easy run 2:1 intervals and WOO HOO! A nice run, not very much pushing on a pretty hilly course and I'm still down almost 3.5 minutes from my run a little less than a month ago. I'm loving it.

I'm trying to gain a little speed, hence starting over on my intervals because while I like running I want to be just a BIT faster. When I'm running I'm in between an 11 and 12 minute mile now, it's the walking that I need to work on. Just building up that endurance, but it's so fun to watch that 5K time drop every month!

I think I'm going to sign up for a real 5k for April instead of my virtual ones. It's nice enough out now that in 2-3 more weeks a morning run won't be horrid. Then there's also over 6 weeks before the 5K that I really want to run back home, so I won't be pushing myself too hard right before another race.

I've added weight lifting to my exercise regimen. Twice a week I'm doing a 45 minute workout and it's lunges, squats and everything galore. I did it after my run the other day for the first time and whew. I understand why that's supposed to build endurance. Here's the thing, I feel stronger. When I run hills it's slower than I'd like, but I feel myself pushing up those things and then coasting down.  When I run on flats I can feel my from and my legs just pushing forward and I adore that feeling. My breathing is good and as long as I don't go to fast right now no side pain. (The other day I went way too fast on a 2-mile run and oy. I walked a bit of that one).

I'm so happy with where my exercise is right now. I feel like I'm pushing but I'm not burning out. If I need to skip a run and do it the next day I can. If I need to cut my 3-mile run down to 2-miles I do. I'm listening to my body and just enjoying what I can accomplish right now. I can't wait until my final 5K in October because I'm excited to see where I am after running through the heat and humidity of the summer and then becoming stronger because of it. Who knows, maybe I'll tough it out and become a winter runner, too!

All in all, I'm ecstatic with my progress and hope to have more good news to share with you through the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment